Current:Home > NewsEchoSense:European Union launches probe as Musk's X claims it removed accounts, content amid Israel war -Capitatum
EchoSense:European Union launches probe as Musk's X claims it removed accounts, content amid Israel war
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 11:26:20
The EchoSenseEuropean Commission has launched an investigation into X even as executives at Elon Musk's social media platform insist they have been cracking down on misinformation and illegal content pervading the site in the days since the Palestinian militant group Hamas attacked Israel.
The platform formerly known as Twitter had been facing mounting pressure from the 27-nation bloc amid concerns that it had not been adequately policing the propaganda and depictions of violence flooding its platform.
Hundreds of Hamas-linked accounts have been removed from the platform formerly known as Twitter, Linda Yaccarino, the company's CEO, claimed in a Thursday post on X. Additionally, Yaccarino claimed that thousands of pieces of content have been labeled or taken down since the war broke out around the contested land known as the Gaza Strip.
Yaccarino shared a letter on the platform in which she responded to a top European Union official who had demanded to know the steps X was taking to moderate the illicit posts, photos and videos flooding its platform showing the carnage.
"In response to the recent terrorist attack on Israel by Hamas, we've redistributed resources and refocused internal teams who are working around the clock to address this rapidly evolving situation," Yaccarino said.
Mapping Gaza:A look at the the 140-square-mile strip at the core of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
Experts warn of rising hate speech, graphic imagery on X
Changes Musk has put in place since he purchased Twitter for $44 billion and renamed it X have caused the platform to run afoul of the EU’s Digital Services Act.
Taking effect in August 2022, the law penalizes social media companies with hefty fines if it's found that illegal content like terrorist propaganda or hate speech are insufficiently policed.
European Union officials announced Thursday that they have now sent a request for information to X under the act to assess the company's compliance with the law. X has until Oct. 18 to respond to investigators.
"The #DSA is here to protect both freedom of expression & our democracies — including in times of crisis," Thierry Breton, a European commissioner, said in a Thursday post on X in announcing the investigation.
Under Musk's leadership, X has carried out massive cuts to its content moderation teams and required that users pay to have a blue checkmark that once indicated a verified account. The changes have caused many experts and media observers to worry that Musk has made the platform more susceptible to misinformation.
And that was before decades of Israeli-Palestinian hostility was reignited.
Online hatred spreads:Israel, Gaza and when your social media posts hurt more than help
Exploiting lax content moderation on X and other sites, experts warn that Hamas has made online terror propaganda that includes violent videos and graphic images of kidnappings and murders of civilians and soldiers a key strategy in its military campaign.
Groups who study online hate speech say it has spiked against both Jews and Palestinians following the deadly attacks in Israel, where the death toll has already risen to the thousands on both sides of the fighting. Furthermore, representatives of both communities have told USA TODAY that they believe U.S.-based social media companies have not done enough to rid their platforms of violent rhetoric.
In the weeks before the conflict, the Anti-Defamation League had already been critical of X over what it believes are Musk’s alleged promotion of extremists on the site and his perceived laissez-faire approach to content moderation. 7amleh, an Arab civil rights organization, has also been attempting for months to persuade X to quell hate speech against Palestinians, USA TODAY has reported.
Trump blames Netanyahu:Former president calls Hamas 'very smart' amid Israel war
CEO: 'no place on X for terrorist organizations or extremist groups'
Breton, the bloc’s digital enforcer, had sought an explanation from X for how the company was complying with the EU's strict digital rules as the Hamas Israel war rages.
“X is proportionately and effectively assessing and addressing identified fake and manipulated content during this constantly evolving and shifting crisis,” Yaccarino said in a letter to Breton dated Wednesday. "There is no place on X for terrorist organizations or extremist groups."
By land, sea, air and online:How Hamas used the internet to terrorize Israel
The social media platform said it assembled a leadership group shortly after news of the attack broke and Yaccarino said it has since responded to takedown requests from law enforcement agencies from around the world, including more than 80 from EU member states. As the war unfolds, Yaccarino said X has removed "hundreds of Hamas-affiliated accounts" and "tens of thousands of pieces of content" containing "violent speech, manipulated media and graphic" imagery from the conflict.
But some observers are skeptical of X's commitment to controlling the propaganda and depictions of violence flooding its platform.
A report from the Tech Transparency Project found several instances of “verified” X users, some with more than 500,000 followers, spreading uncensored Hamas propaganda videos.
One clip viewed more than 60,000 times posted to X shows bodycam footage of Hamas militants going room-to-room in an Israeli military base firing automatic weapons as bloodied corpses lie on the ground.
“It's been nearly ten years since the Islamic State made heavy use of social media to amplify its propaganda and recruitment efforts. Although some platforms have improved at reducing the spread of Islamic State content, today we see Hamas deploying very similar tactics on X,” TTP director Katie A Paul told USA TODAY. “The company has monetized the spread of Hamas propaganda despite its clear violations of X policy. X needs to effectively enforce the rules it has on the books as the conflict continues.”
Contributing: Jessica Guynn and Will Carless
Eric Lagatta covers breaking and trending news for USA TODAY. Reach him at [email protected]
veryGood! (52)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Philadelphia actor starring in groundbreaking musical comedy that showcases challenges people with disabilities face
- First over-the-counter birth control pill heads to stores
- SpaceX calls off crew launch to space station due to high winds along flight path
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- April's total solar eclipse will bring a surreal silence and confuse all sorts of animals
- Getting off fossil fuels is hard, but this city is doing it — building by building
- The semi driver rescued dangling from a bridge had been struck by an oncoming vehicle: mayor
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- NASCAR Las Vegas race March 2024: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Pennzoil 400
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Texas wildfires map: Track latest locations of blazes as dry weather, wind poses threat
- Body parts of 2 people found in Long Island park and police are trying to identify them
- Resist Booksellers vows to 'inspire thinkers to go out in the world and leave their mark'
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Medical incident likely led to SUV crashing into Walmart store, authorities say
- Police charge man after pregnant Amish woman slain in Pennsylvania
- Alaska’s Iditarod dogs get neon visibility harnesses after 5 were fatally hit while training
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Two fragile DC neighborhoods hang in the balance as the Wizards and Capitals consider leaving town
A 4-year-old Gaza boy lost his arm – and his family. Half a world away, he’s getting a second chance
Who is Nick Sorensen? NFL, coaching resume for new San Francisco 49ers coordinator
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
U.S. official says there's a deal on the table for a proposed cease-fire, hostage release deal with Hamas
Freddie Mercury's London home for sale after being preserved for 30 years: See inside
Mall fire in Bangladesh capital kills at least 43, including women and children, health minister says